Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thursday Craft 'n Chat - Creating Your Own Embossing Folders

Welcome to this week’s edition of Thursday Craft 'n Chat. Every Thursday will feature a different crafty tip/technique from one of the Made Especially For You design team members. Click here to view last weeks tutorial on how to save paper using your Gypsy.

Hi everyone this is Robin from The Cricut Scrapper. I love adding embossed images to my cards, but if you're like me you don't have alot of money to spend on all of the awesome embossing folders they have. So, I have a money-saving tip for you! I am going to show you how to make your own embossing folder out of things you already have at home :)


First, just grab any kind of chipboard/cardboard you have laying around (pizza box, cereal box, etc.)



Then, take one of the cuttlebug folders and trace it onto the box. Or just make a 4.25" x 11" rectangle, and cut it out..



I then scored it at 5 1/2 ".
After that I took my Gypsy and picked out a duck border that I thought was cute :P


If you don't have a Gypsy you can use any kind of die cutting machine to cut out a shape or just trace a border or random shapes (like stars or circles etc.) onto the chipboard and then use your craft knife or scissors to cut them out :) 

Once the shapes are cut out I put glue onto the shapes while it was still on my Cricut mat and then folded the top onto the cut out shapes and applied pressure until the glue was dry.


Next, lift the top up and you have your image to emboss on the top, with the opening on the bottom of the folder. I have it flipped over on this picture to show you the image that is glued to the chipboard.


When I put it through my embossing machine I used a cuttlebug folder and another piece of chipboard to give it some thickness, because it is pretty thin by itself.
Here is the cardstock after I embossed it...



How cool is that! Now I can make any kind of embossed image to coordinate with my main image on my card and for practically nothing...just things I have around the house (I am kind of a pack rat hehe.. I am always saving my pizza boxes, and cereal boxes :)
 Okay, now on to the finished card
I tried to angle it so you could see the image....
(if you click on the picture you will be able to see the embossing on it better:)


I added the duck from Wall Decor and More a border strip from MS under the embossed image that I made and then added a bow and the sentiment and my card is complete.
I hope I have encouraged you to try making your own custom embossing folders. I know that I am going to make several more.
(:(:Smiles:):)

7 comments:

  1. This is fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just so clever. TFS

    Have a gr8 day
    Julie

    http://9-2-midnight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Robin and a great tutorial.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tutorial, what a great idea


    rosiemini@gmail.com
    www.scraplovingminis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute...all your ducks in a row;) Nice of you to share.
    http://carolescreativecritters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. you all are gonna make me cave and get a machine!
    Love Craft n Chats :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please leave your blog address so I can visit you, too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...