Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Read S'more Books

Whew, these last few days have been a whirlwind of writing papers, memorizing algebra formulas, completing tedious homework assignments and working at the library. I've had this post planned since Saturday and am just now finding the time to post it. 


I thought I'd change things up a bit and show you one of my favorite parts of my job working in the children's department at the library: decorating my bulletin board! I'm responsible for changing the layout on this bulletin board every month or so, and I'm free to do whatever I want with it as long as it relates to reading. Usually I find a cute reading saying and come up with a layout that goes with the saying. For August, I decided to do an end-of-the-summer theme (what kid wants to think about going back to school?) and used the quote "Read S'more Books." 



For the fire, I roughly sketched the flames on red, orange and yellow construction paper and then wadded up pieces of tissue paper and glued them to the construction paper to give it a 3-D effect. I used gray construction paper for the rocks and added silver and gold glitter just for fun.



I created the raccoon based off of a clipart photo and traced him onto gray construction paper and then used a black marker for the stripes. I also attached googly eyes and shredded cotton balls to also give him a 3-D appearance. 


It's hard to tell in the picture, but the letters have red and gold glitter on them and are supposed to look like the smoke and embers that are being given off by the fire. The ideas are always portrayed a lot better in my mind then what they come out looking like. :)

I used black construction paper for the background and cut the edges of green poster paper for the grass, and then added a decorative border. As a future teacher, this is definitely something I always enjoy doing at my job and look forward to doing in my classroom. 

I'll be back to posting cards later this week, one is one that I miraculously had time to create during the past crazy week and the other is for another Mojo Monday challenge I'm entering. Hope you all are having a great week, thanks for stopping by! :)

Ashley

12 comments:

  1. This is a lovely project, thanks for sharing! I'm your follower now! hugs, Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool projects - thanks for the blog visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the visit. This is a beautifully created card. In older posts you demonstrate using the cuttlebug. I have one and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ashley! Thx for your sweet comments on my blog - thought I'd come and have a nose at yours! This is such a great project - that sentiment is brilliant and just love how you've created that scene!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This project is sooo COOL!I TOTALLY LOVE your idea,Just AMAZING!All the kids will LOVE this bulletin board to,SO CUTE!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Frances - Thanks for stopping by!

    @Donna - You're welcome, thanks for stopping by as well!

    @Nuggles - Thanks, and I absolutely love my Cuttlebug! I am continuously searching for the best-priced dies and folders.

    @Mary J - Aw, you're welcome! Thanks for stopping by my blog as well.

    @Cindy - Thanks for your sweet comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bulletin board. This brings back great memories of me helping my grandmother set up her classroom each year. I loved doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so absolutely adorable and creative!! What a fabulous bulletin board!! You did a spectacular job with this...so awesome and fun! LOVE it :)

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card...such awesome detail. FABULOUS! I am a new follower. ~Shen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This bulletin board is so nice and colorful. You did a great job. I know the children love it! I like the cute Raccoon. Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bulletin boad is awesome. Love how you made the fire. I am terrible about updating mine at school. It is on the bottom of my list, but I should change that this school year! Sounds like a great goal.

    Georgiana
    Carson's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Steph - Thanks! :) I hope I have great teaching memories like you do!

    @Lisa - Thanks so much for your sweet comments!

    @MyCuriousCrafts - Your support is greatly appreciated!

    @Judy - Thanks, you have a good weekend also!

    @Georgiana - Thanks for stopping by, hope you accomplish that goal! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please leave your blog address so I can visit you, too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...