Thursday, August 18, 2011

Experimenting With Handmade Envelopes!

Making my own envelopes has been something I've wanted to try for forever. Normally I take the easy route and just buy a package of envelopes, but now that I realize how easy it is to make my own, I'll hardly ever resort to that anymore! I recently checked out a book from a local library (see the picture below) that has some really fun sketches and in the back, envelope templates for different sized cards. The templates needed to be enlarged using a copy machine (which I luckily have access to at work) so I enlarged some copies and gave it a try.


This is the book that had the envelope templates in the back. The sketches are really simple but that allows for so many different and creative elements! There's also a Birthday Celebrations and Christmas Celebrations in this series, but unfortunately I couldn't find those at any local library. They are on Amazon, though, so maybe someday I'll get around to purchasing them!

The included envelope templates in the book were for card sizes 4 x 9, 4.5 x 6, 5 x 5, and 5.5 x 8. Basically, what I did was enlarge each template to the correct size (I had to use 11 x 17 paper, they wouldn't fit on 8.5 x 11). Once the enlarging was done I cut them out and then glued them onto cardstock paper so that I can reuse the template by tracing it onto whichever paper I want the envelope to be made out of. 

A. 5 x 5 template
B. 4.5 x 6 template
C. 4 x 9 template
D. 5.5 x 8 template
I apologize if it's hard to see in the pictures, but each template has the scoring lines, folding lines and also what percent the template needs to be enlarged to.

Once the templates were finished, I created my first envelope using the 5.5 x 8 template for the birthday card I made for a coworker last week, (you can see that card here). Here's the end result:

I paper clipped the template to a 12 x 12 piece of blue cardstock so that it would stay in place while I cut around it. (It can also be traced and then cut, but I found it easier to just cut along the template). 


Once I folded the envelope according to the lines on the template (obviously those weren't traced onto the blue paper, but, it's fairly easy to "guesstimate" where the folds are supposed to be made based off the design of the template), I attached a little glue dot to help keep the sides together. 


Once the folds had been made and the glue dot had been applied, this is what the envelope looked like from the back. 


And this is the envelope with the card inside. It fit perfectly! 

I didn't have anything that would seal the envelope, so I used some fun stickers that match the card. They worked well at first but later kept popping up, so next time I'll have to find some strong envelope seals.

And that's all there is to it! I hope I didn't complicate the process too much, it's really fairly simple. Just enlarge the template, cut it out, glue it to cardstock (this is optional, I chose to do it so that I could reuse the template and not have to continuously make copies of the original template), and then trace, cut and fold! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Thanks for stopping by! :)

Ashley

5 comments:

  1. Very cute & simple!! I think that I would probably just use double stick tape to seal the envelope and then put the sticker on it just for show.

    Linda
    http://lasteve1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by & leaving a comment on my blog :-) To seal envelopes, I just run a line with my ATG... no worries after that! Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley, Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me over. I have enjoyed seeing your wonderful blog and love your ribbon background. Is this a photo you took? Will be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley,
    Thx for stopping by and becoming the lastest follower on my blog. :D Your template for envelopes are a gr8 idea, you could really customise the envelopes. I'm happy to become a follower myself. Have a fabulous weekend. cheers Julie

    http://9-2-midnight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley,
    Great envelope template guide! I love it when I can make things instead of buying them! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment and becoming a follower! I am now following you too! Have a great weekend!
    hugs,
    joni

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please leave your blog address so I can visit you, too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...